Thunderstorm preparedness in Northeast Ontario/Kaiser
Thunderstorms are beautiful, but they can also be dangerous. They can cause severe damage to your home and property in Northeast Ontario/Kaiser. Thunderstorms include lightning and can:
- Include winds over 50 MPH
- Create hail
- Cause flash floods
- Cause tornadoes
In most places, a thunderstorm can happen at any time of the year, and at any time of the day.
SERVPRO® of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser knows you cannot prevent a thunderstorm, but you can prepare:
- Know the risk for thunderstorms in Northeast Ontario/Kaiser
- Sign up for your community’s warning system
- Cut down or trim trees that may fall on your home or office
- Install surge protectors, lightning rods, or a lightning protection system
SERVPRO of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser repeats the warning, “When thunder roars, go indoors”. You don’t have to wait for the thunder. If there is a thunderstorm warning, go inside. Once there:
- Unplug appliances
- Do not use landline phones in office or home
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings
If you can’t get inside a building:
- If you are swimming or in a boat, get to land immediately. Find shelter
- If you are in a car, don’t touch anything metal
- “Turn around. Don’t Drown. '' Avoid flooded roads. 6 inches of moving water can knock you down. One foot of moving water can sweep away your car.
A lightning strike during a thunderstorm can leave a wake of destruction in its path. This can range from minor electrical issues to fire damage. Lightning is also a major cause of injury or death from weather-related dangers. Most people survive being hit by lightning, but they often have long-term problems.
SERVPRO of Northeast Ontario/Kaiser is independently owned and operated.